Good evening, my precious little ass candies!
Wave 

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                                             |
|                      The Once and Future 'Net, Redux                        |
|                               by D!99y Dud3                                 |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Good evening,  my precious  little ass candies,  and welcome to another utterly
absorbing episode of the D!99y Philes!

Well, I'm feeling a little vindicated by the recent work of no less a venerable
personage than the inventor of the World Wide Web himself, Sir Tim Berners-Lee.
Please indulge me, if you will, as I proceed to pontificate on the matter.

Last week,  I watched  a YouTube  video  produce by a  member  of the  "muh new
platform" crowd.  This enterprising  fellow  wants to build  yet another large,
centralized  social media  platform  governed by  complex  algorithms  that  he
believes  will ensure fair and consistent  enforcement of community  guidelines

Read the full textfile on Pastebin
I stopped Reading at
"your a fucking nazi dude"
(03-16-2019, 02:04 AM)Guest Wrote: I stopped Reading at
"your a fucking nazi dude"

That's quite a feat considering that phrase doesn't appear anywhere in the textfile. Good for you. ThumbsUp
Just to be clear...

If you own a private site and want to rule it with an iron hand, more power to you.

If you want to build a huge social media platform that claims to serve 2 billion people equally and impartially, you probably need to rethink the "my way or the highway" attitude, not to mention the whole idea of you being the one to decide what the "community standards" for 2 billion people should be. Otherwise you're not really offering people a compelling reason to switch from Faecesbook, Twatter, and ThenTube.

This is why huge social media sites can never work. Every single one of them started out with the best of intentions. Every single one of them wanted to provide a platform for free expression and the free exchange of ideas and information. But...

Money changes everything. Every single time. Give an idealist power and influence and the ability to see people's most private thoughts and manipulate them, and he will use all of that to try to mold the world in his own image. Every single time.
(03-16-2019, 01:53 PM)The Oh Fucking Pee Wrote: This is why huge social media sites can never work. Every single one of them started out with the best of intentions.

It’s literally exactly like communism.
(03-16-2019, 01:57 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: It’s literally exactly like communism.

Yes, and that's why Tim Berners-Lee is correct in trying to steer the Web back towards his original vision of everyone owning their own data and controlling what others can do with it.

A centralized authoritarian system like communism or Faecesbook cannot preserve liberty. Only self-determination for each individual can preserve liberty. You have to be in total denial of your dark side to believe you can create an infallibly just system. As the leaks prove time and time again, all social media algorithms are heavily influenced by their creators' ideology.
When Faecesbook started requiring people to use their real names and PI, it should've been a clear warning that the whole enterprise was fucked.

Berners-Lee's new system doesn't require your WebID to be your real identity. It only confirms you're the same Jane Doe who logged into the app last time. You can separate WebIDs for bullshitting around and "real life" business.

You can delete any part of your profile at any time. If I comment on your profile, my comment is stored on my Pod, and you can't delete or alter it. Each user's content is wholly owned and controlled by that user. The whole system can run on browser plugins. You use a microblog plugin to "tweet," and I use the same or another plugin to comment on your tweets. Everything is based on the same public standards as the Web itself, so every app speaks the same language and is compatible with all the others.

You don't have to place blind trust in Tim Berners-Lee or anyone else. The source code for the linked data infrastructure is publicly available for anyone to inspect and decide whether it's trustworthy. If an app developer won't reveal their source code, find another one that does.

Proprietary "walled garden" platforms are dead.

Fuck Yeah
(03-16-2019, 02:39 PM)Guest Wrote: If an app developer won't reveal their source code, find another one that does.

Speaking of which: since Android is based on GNU/Linux, every Android phone manufacturer is legally required to give you the source code for their phone's firmware in a form that you can recompile and reinstall. They're also required a provide a copy of the GPL license with every phone sold. How many of them do that?
How do you come up with this shit
It's called Imaginationland, candypants.
ooow ok pleb thanks for the input
It's all verifiable facts, actually.
I was just being squirrelly.
It doesn't really matter to someone who gets butthurt over the word "nazi" and stops reading though. Someone like that clearly won't bother investigating further. shrug
(03-16-2019, 01:53 PM)The Oh Fucking Pee Wrote: This is why huge social media sites can never work. Every single one of them started out with the best of intentions. Every single one of them wanted to provide a platform for free expression and the free exchange of ideas and information. But...

how naive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_LifeLog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Info..._Awareness

all of them that got big quickly were offshoots of this program. they were never set up to give people the ability for free expression, it was always about data mining and manipulating the public consciousness.

the only ones that gave people platforms for free expression were the geocities/tripod/angelfire/clone type of free hosting sites, and those were attacked and phased out for myspace/facebook/twitter/etc.
rhombus will set you free.
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
Holy fuck...

Genba steps in and drops massive fucking truth nobody can argue with.

This is why we love him.
Yeah, the whole Lifelog/Facebook theory completely negates the central premise of this thread, which is that a decentralized solution would be better than "muh new platform." Rolleyes
Sorry for the snark. I like genba and respect his opinion, but let's stay on track here.

Faecesbook may or may not be an offshoot of DARPA's Lifelog project. If it is, knowing that won't undo the damage that has been done or lead to a solution. From the practical perspective of finding a solution, speculation and conspiracy theory can only muddy the waters.

Basically, those looking for a solution fall into two camps:

(1) Those who think something that has repeatedly failed in the past can succeed if only it's done right the next time around. For example, communism.

(2) Those who have given up on trying to salvage a failed course of action and want to try something else.

There's a third camp who know something isn't right but don't know what all of the options are. They're hoping the first camp will succeed because that's all they have experience with.
Excited 
(03-16-2019, 01:57 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: It’s literally exactly like communism.

I once called you a commie on some forum LOLLLLLLLLLL
But then I got to know you a bit, you are nothing like that :)

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy

Board Rules | Chat | About | Contact

You are what you think about. This is your mind online.