What are some songs that take you back?
Alien 
There are songs we like, and then there are those that make us feel like we're being beamed up and transported to another time and place...

This song has the strongest transportation effect on me. As soon as it comes on, it's 1972 again. Even though it was released in 1974, but nevermind that.

It's early summer... there are yellow flowers all around. I'm wearing a deep yellow shirt and brown corduroy bell bottoms. I can smell it in the air... the purity and atmosphere of an unspoiled landscape. Except, I'm in an alleyway... next to the building I grew up in. You can have it all.

It's 1999 and I'm in North Atlantic Canada, by the rocky panoramic seaside. The sky is a cloudless piercing blue. The wind is blowing so hard I can barely see through my hair, and I wonder if I'm going to blow away. 

Same.
God made me funky...
And I'm glad He blessed me that way.
Love this song and the cute blonde back up singer

takes me back to my older sisters causing havoc in our house , they played songs like this very loud and were sluts

(06-27-2017, 03:32 PM)Guest Wrote: they played songs like this very loud and were sluts

ROFL

Tubnana
God made me funky...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fRdfVIOr4

This one always makes me think about the times when this came out. I was a freshman in high school and this got heavy airplay when it came out. It brings back so many memories...    man.
And a little more recent

This one I really love... and I love the video.

Yeah that song always makes me feel super safe and confident when I'm driving... LOL. I can relate 100%. Gary Numan was so freaking hot too. Gah. Love it. High nostalgia.
God made me funky...

This little gem takes me back to circa 2011. I don't know why it's a fond memory... there's nothing specific even associated with it besides incredibly vague Canada memories. I think it's the song itself that is the high point rather than any memory. I wore it out so hard when I 'discovered' it.
God made me funky...
It's amazing how memories can be so attached to music.

I still remember the summers by our pool when I was about 12 and they were still playing Beatle songs, like With A Little Help From My Friends on current rock radio. We played outside ALL day and the music was always on. I can probably rattle off almost every song that was played in the mid seventies just from memory.
I'm kind of jealous of people who got to experience the 70s... I feel such a deep connection to those times for some reason!!! My mom told me, "Nooo! You belong in this time. You wouldn't have liked it then."
God made me funky...
It's hard to imagine now how everyone got by without any computers, cell phones or the internet. If I wanted to learn something...which I always did.. I rode my bike to the library. But really, things didn't seem too different as far as every day life.

There was only about 3-5 channels on the TV and nobody got news of anything until the news came on, or a radio station might break some news.... but no instant news at all. I remember when Elvis died and I cried at night while the radio played his songs.

Oh, when I was in about 5th grade, we had these special calculators in school one day. They were Texas Instrument calculaters.. and there was only about one for every two or three kids in the class, so we had to get into groups to use them. They were as big as a large dictionary and they had to be plugged into the wall. They had red LEDs and could only do basic math functions... and had very few digits they could display. Can you imagine that? If someone would have dropped a smart phone on us at that time, we'd think they were from out space.
I remember when Fleetwood Mac's Rumors came out and was a smash hit. My sister bought the record. Yeah... an actual record, and I stole it from her. I played that record a lot. 

My first car had The Beatles White Album on 8 track cassette in the glovebox. The car had an 8-track player and that was my only 8-track I could play in it, so I know the playing order of that double album by heart. Any time I hear a song from the White Album, I half expect the next song to play right after it.
(06-27-2017, 05:04 PM)GG Wrote: If I wanted to learn something...which I always did.. I rode my bike to the library.

I used to hang out at 'The Archives' down the road from my house... it was a historical building where they kept all the old newspapers and census books etc. I would look at yearbooks and newspapers and stalk down people who usually had been dead for decades. I'd see who their families were and look all of them up. The ladies who worked there were all super old and I know they had to wonder what the actual fuck I was doing.

(06-27-2017, 05:04 PM)GG Wrote: Oh, when I was in about 5th grade, we had these special calculators in school one day. They were Texas Instrument calculaters.. and there was only about one for every two or three kids in the class, so we had to get into groups to use them. They were as big as a large dictionary and they had to be plugged into the wall.

Holy shit. We've come so far... and it really seems like it's fucking everything up.

(06-27-2017, 05:34 PM)GG Wrote: I remember when Fleetwood Mac's Rumors came out and was a smash hit. My sister bought the record. Yeah... an actual record, and I stole it from her. I played that record a lot. 

My first car had The Beatles White Album on 8 track cassette in the glovebox. The car had an 8-track player and that was my only 8-track I could play in it, so I know the playing order of that double album by heart. Any time I hear a song from the White Album, I half expect the next song to play right after it.

Rumors was one of my favorites too. I listened to that and a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits CD, and the ABBA Gold CD until they were WORN OUT.

The White Album reminds me of the early 2000s. I had become obsessed with it around that time... my favorite song from the record was 'Long, Long, Long'.
God made me funky...
(06-27-2017, 06:32 PM)Trix Wrote:
(06-27-2017, 05:04 PM)GG Wrote: If I wanted to learn something...which I always did..   I rode my bike to the library.

I used to hang out at 'The Archives' down the road from my house... it was a historical building where they kept all the old newspapers and census books etc. I would look at yearbooks and newspapers and stalk down people who usually had been dead for decades. I'd see who their families were and look all of them up. The ladies who worked there were all super old and I know they had to wonder what the actual fuck I was doing.

(06-27-2017, 05:04 PM)GG Wrote: Oh, when I was in about 5th grade, we had these special calculators in school one day. They were Texas Instrument calculaters.. and there was only about one for every two or three kids in the class, so we had to get into groups to use them. They were as big as a large dictionary and they had to be plugged into the wall.

Holy shit. We've come so far... and it really seems like it's fucking everything up.

(06-27-2017, 05:34 PM)GG Wrote: I remember when Fleetwood Mac's Rumors came out and was a smash hit. My sister bought the record. Yeah... an actual record, and I stole it from her. I played that record a lot. 

Rumors was one of my favorites too. I listened to that and a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Greatest Hits CD, and the ABBA Gold CD until they were WORN OUT.

The White Album reminds me of the early 2000s. I had become obsessed with it around that time... my favorite song from the record was 'Long, Long, Long'.

I'll bet those old ladies thought you were amazing and cute for wanting to go hang out there. That sounds like something I would have done.. and really enjoyed. I've always loved stuff like that. In High School I used to go to the school's library and old books off the shelves just to open them up so I could look at the cards inside to see the names and dates of the people who checked them out. I'd try to find the oldest, last-checked out book and I found some going back to the 1950's. Granted, this was in 1979, but the 50's was still ancient history to me and I thought that was the neatest thing.

We have come far, but we aren't any more fuicked up that we always were. In the 70's we polluted lots more and had lots of crazy shit that people would be shocked at these days. We were a lot more wasteful I think too. It really is true that things were not very much different in day to day life. Everybody still did and acted the same as people today. 

You have good taste in music! You and I would get along well in real life I think! I think it's so cool that you got into the White Album.. and I really love that album. It's so unique and there are so many different kinds of styles on that album, but it's all fucking incredible. Long Long Long is like a perfect song for the spot it had on the album too. Since I first had it on 8 track, I just always played the album straight through..... you can't rewind those.. and it's a pain in the ass to fast forward them. I'd just pop the second cassette in when the first one started repeating. But listening to it that way made me appreciate listening to it as a whole, whereas I normally probably wouldn't have. So to me, every song on that album is essential to the thing as a whole. 

Ah... what a great thread, Trix!
I was only 5 years old but my parents bought our first house and it was on in the hood! I had a bunch of friends, a bike and a community swimming pool!

This is going to take my kids back because I've been playing this song for them after chasing after fireflies! The look so cute trying to catch them, my little girl likes to wear a grass skirt and flower necklace when she does it and they just look so amazing being their naturally cute selves.

(06-28-2017, 01:18 PM)Cream of Caulk Wrote: I was only 5 years old but my parents bought our first house and it was on in the hood! I had a bunch of friends, a bike and a community swimming pool!

This is going to take my kids back because I've been playing this song for them after chasing after fireflies! The look so cute trying to catch them, my little girl likes to wear a grass skirt and flower necklace when she does it and they just look so amazing being their naturally cute selves.

You are so blessed! I love your beautiful family and I can picture in mind what it looks like to see your daughter chasing the fireflies.

What a great song that Firefly song is too. I really like it!

This post inspired! Me last night https://youtu.be/efL9jukuhtc

Summer between 8th and 9th grade, just moved to a new town...this is early 90s

meet a bunch of dudes fishing and one invites me over to chill later.

first time I ever got stoned :D

this was playing on the stereo
Three people give me three songs I want to see if I can make something with samples I didn't pick . Make a game of it lol
This song takes me back to 2007, and is dedicated to Effie:

God made me funky...

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Manage Subscription

Board Rules - About Us - Disclaimer - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Contact Us

Tarot Readings | Email Counseling | Chat | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Spreadshirt | Etsy

SOHO

GCP

USGS

You are what you think about.

This is your mind online.