Making Old Telephones Great Again (MOTGA)
So I like phucking around with old fonez, right? I have a few Western Electric 701 and 702 Princess phones in various colors, and an Automatic Electric 182 Spacemaker in pink. Pink vintage phones are highly collectible, so that's what I bought.

Princess:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/w...ncess.html

Spacemaker:

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae183sm.html

Back in the day, it was illegal to connect any equipment to the phone lines unless you leased it from Ma Bell. The phone cops could tell if you had more phones on your line than you were renting by the number of ringers attached to the line. The Spacemaker, often called a "bar phone" because they were common in dive bars, didn't have an internal ringer, so people would use them to add extra extensions without paying the monthly rental fee.

As it turns out, these old phones work just fine with the VoIP service provided by cable companies today. The cable modem has circuitry to perform rotary dial pulse detection and ring the electromechanical bell in an old phone. You can even use a dialup modem over the digital phone line if you want.

The drawback to having a land line is that telemarketers hound the living shit out of you. The national Do Not Call list is useless because there's a loophole in the law for non-profits. There are two local call centers that each autodial me 5 times a day, 6 or 7 days a week. That's 70 times per week that my phone rings and it's not somebody I want to talk to. Asking them politely to remove your number from their list doesn't work, nor does chewing them a new asshole when you finally get fed up.

I bought a caller ID box and an answering machine to screen my calls. If it was one of the call centers or a number I didn't recognize, I'd ignore it. If they didn't leave a message, then they obviously weren't going to get a callback. I figured they'd give up eventually, but no. The goddamned phone still rang 10 times a day for months on end. I finally decided to get one of those TeleZappers that sends a disconnected signal to the autodialer. It arrived today, and is now installed. I'm hoping it'll help make old telephones great again.
I had a pink princess phone but I think it's because my mom worked for Western Electric.
Unless they become wireless, I don't think so.

I'd like to have a completely wireless home, even my refrigerator shouldn't have any cords. They can put a charging unit underneath it but no cords.

The only cords tech people are supposed to like are mouse cords. What is wrong with you RB?
(12-02-2017, 11:22 AM)Cream of Caulk Wrote: I had a pink princess phone but I think it's because my mom worked for Western Electric.

I have a pink one too. I had a cream colored Touch-Tone version made in the 1980s that I gave away because I wanted to stick with rotary dials.

Most of mine need to be repainted. There's a tough paint that comes in all of the original Western Electric colors that the phone company used to refurbish phones before installing them for new customers. It's basically like putting a fresh layer of plastic on a phone. The paint is very expensive, so I wouldn't buy it myself. I met a guy who collects Ericson phones online who will paint a batch of phones for other people if he can get enough phones of the same color in a batch to make it cost effective.
(12-02-2017, 11:29 AM)Cream of Caulk Wrote: What is wrong with you RB?

I'm a lunatic. LOL
I do have 4 computers and a cell phone connected to my router via wifi, so not everything is wired. The only way to make vintage computers wireless is to wire them to another device that's wireless. My TRS-80 Model 100 laptop and Color Computer are connected to a Raspberry Pi with wifi.
(12-02-2017, 11:33 AM)Russian Bot Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 11:29 AM)Cream of Caulk Wrote: What is wrong with you RB?

I'm a lunatic. LOL

Tongue
I was thinking about this bitchin’ phone I used to have when I was a kid and how I wished I still had it...

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/retro-t...telephone/
God made me funky...
And I'm glad He blessed me that way.
It lit up when it rang and stuff.
God made me funky...
I had a dream about a phone like this once, even though I’d never seen one in my life:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-Retro-Th...e/35658931
God made me funky...
(12-02-2017, 12:29 PM)Trix Wrote: I had a dream about a phone like this once, even though I’d never seen one in my life:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyle-Retro-Th...e/35658931

I wonder what the functional crank does. In the old days, it turned a magneto to generate alternating current for the ringer. Those magnetos were pretty heavy, and it probably wouldn't be cost effective to produce them for that purpose today. When I was a kid, we had shocking fun times playing with those old generators.
Dude I used to have a jet ski phone.

It looked like this...

http://www.sabsales.com/wp-content/uploa...Madera.jpg

Only it was a PHONE

The seat part came out and that was the receiver.

Lolololol.

Wow I haven’t thought about that in forever.
God made me funky...
I have a USS Enterprise phone. LOL
That's fucking amazing dude.

Novelty phones.
God made me funky...
You're gonna shit yer pants when you see what else I'm doing with those old phones. I'm working on a project. Waiting for parts to come in on that slooooow boat from China. I'll make a video when it's finished.
Interstellar communications device?!

Cross dimensional communications device!?

Same thing?!

Banana
God made me funky...
Now there's an idea...
I only got one telemarketing call after I installed the TeleZapper yesterday. Dead silence since then. Neither of the two usual suspects have called me. Apparently they all use the same database. Or maybe it's the same call center using different numbers to try to throw people off.
(12-02-2017, 11:29 AM)Cream of Caulk Wrote: Unless they become wireless, I don't think so.

I'd like to have a completely wireless home, even my refrigerator shouldn't have any cords. They can put a charging unit underneath it but no cords.

The only cords tech people are supposed to like are mouse cords. What is wrong with you RB?

while i'd also love the convenience of a cord-free environment, all of the wireless tech in consumer devices is toxic to our organisms.
rhombus will set you free
That same number that I thought I'd zapped yesterday just called again.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Manage Subscription

Board Rules - About Us - Disclaimer - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy - Contact Us

Tarot Readings | Email Counseling | Chat | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Spreadshirt | Etsy

SOHO

GCP

USGS

You are what you think about.

This is your mind online.