Trauma and Repressed Memories: It's a natural function only useful to a certain point
Book 
Repression of traumatic memories serves us in the time immediately following traumatic experiences. It's a natural defense which enables us to put the event on the 'back burner' and be able to SURVIVE the immediate situation without having a complete and total breakdown on the spot, which would be much like having an injured leg in a situation where we have to run in order to save our lives. In order to ensure our immediate survival, trauma is almost immediately 'tucked away'. Of course this DOES NOT happen in ALL cases of traumatic experiences... but it DOES happen.

But the benefits of trauma repression don't serve a good purpose for very long. When traumatic memories are repressed, they get pushed back into the subconscious mind, and eventually they cause problems. Everything from self-confidence issues to phobias and sexual fetishes can be a result of repressed trauma. These effects rear their ugly heads in all types of potentially harmful ways which can impact the body, the mind, and the emotions. 'Acting out' in a variety of ways can be the result of repressed trauma... rebellious or disruptive behavior, self-harm (which manifests in many ways: http://www.sectual.com/thread-2574.html) or abusing other people can all be a result of repressed, unresolved trauma.

And this is where the 'filing away' of traumatic memories in the dark recesses of the subconscious mind stops being beneficial. What then is the purpose of not remembering trauma after a certain point? Specifically before any damage can start being piled on top of that already existing trauma by way of the various harmful manifestations unresolved trauma presents?

Trauma can lead to a vicious cycle. Unresolved, repressed trauma can lead to an even more vicious cycle, fraught with dangerous mindsets and behaviors which can result in more trauma heaped on top of what was already there.
God made me funky...
And I'm glad He blessed me that way.
A prior discussion about trauma:

http://www.sectual.com/thread-2360.html
God made me funky...
I want to cause more trauma
That is how I deal with my own trauma
that's like saying you put out fires by starting more fires, or curing your own flu by infecting others.

you're failing the karma test. the enlightened response to trauma survivors is to not produce other trauma, and to assist others in overcoming their preexisting trauma. breaking the cycle trix referenced.
rhombus will set you free.
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
(03-10-2018, 03:36 AM)genba Wrote: that's like saying you put out fires by starting more fires, or curing your own flu by infecting others.

you're failing the karma test. the enlightened response to trauma survivors is to not produce other trauma, and to assist others in overcoming their preexisting trauma. breaking the cycle trix referenced.

Yes, actually, have you ever heard of firefighters starting fires to stop fires?
(03-10-2018, 03:36 AM)genba Wrote: that's like saying you put out fires by starting more fires, or curing your own flu by infecting others.

You fail the Karma test because is all about you, you are to self indulged.
I care more about others than I care about myself.
what you do is not cutting fire lines to stop an existing blaze, you're just adding [or attempting to add] fuel on site. you know this.

saying b > a doesn't mean much when a can equal zero.

it's also amusing how you keep trying to project things onto me. if i'm so self-indulgent, please explain why i don't talk about myself that much and focus on other things.

spoilers: i tend to be a mirror. i show people aspects of themselves and they take issue with me instead of doing some introspective work.
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
(03-10-2018, 03:41 AM)genba Wrote: what you do is not cutting fire lines to stop an existing blaze, you're just adding [or attempting to add] fuel on site. you know this.

Its called burn back lines, I was a firefighter, you are a dumbass.
Fungus has a special way of dealing with his own traumas...

Sometimes, trauma can be as simple and unassuming as being Australian...

Banana
God made me funky...
LMAO it reminds me of when I was like 8 years old in chatrooms and some freaked out sexperv from Aussie was trying to pretend he was a little girl too... ROFLMAO, I constantly misspelled Australia and it pissed him off super hard. Still cracks me up.
God made me funky...
(03-10-2018, 03:47 AM)Trixmegistus Wrote: LMAO it reminds me of when I was like 8 years old in chatrooms and some freaked out sexperv from Aussie was trying to pretend he was a little girl too... ROFLMAO, I constantly misspelled Australia and it pissed him off super hard. Still cracks me up.

You were in chat rooms at 8? Wtf? You really do need a Dragon.
(03-10-2018, 03:45 AM)Trixmegistus Wrote: Fungus has a special way of dealing with his own traumas...

Sometimes, trauma can be as simple and unassuming as being Australian...

Banana

I was born here, but I have passports for 2 other countries, UK and Ireland.
So your giving shit at the aussie shit doesn't really bother me, just sayin.
(03-10-2018, 03:49 AM)Fungus Maximus Wrote: You were in chat rooms at 8? Wtf?

Yeah, LMFAO...

Agh, man.
God made me funky...
(03-10-2018, 03:51 AM)Fungus Maximus Wrote: I was born here, but I have passports for 2 other countries, UK and Ireland.
So your giving shit at the aussie shit doesn't really bother me, just sayin.

Ireland sounds...

Okay I guess.

What the fuck does having a passport for extra countries mean?

Are you a citizen of all three countries?

Aussie is definitely the preferable place to be when it comes to nature and whatnot.

Societally though... LMFAO!
God made me funky...
(03-10-2018, 03:53 AM)Trixmegistus Wrote: Ireland sounds...

Okay I guess.

Aussie is definitely the preferable place to be when it comes to nature and whatnot.

Well you are trying to give me shit saying aussie blah blah, I couldn't give a fuck about that to be honest.
Im Scottish English Irish I was just born here, and yeah I guess im an Aussie, but so is your mom in someway.
I'm more Scottish than you are.
God made me funky...
(03-10-2018, 03:44 AM)Fungus Maximus Wrote: Its called burn back lines, I was a firefighter, you are a dumbass.

cutting fire lines is an informal version of cutting firebreaks, which are a different thing from back-burns, which are also firebreaks. the main difference is whether or not more fire is used, but that point seems completely lost on you.

a firefighter should know this. you should also know at this point i'm not a dumb ass, i'm a smart ass. :)
(03-10-2018, 03:57 AM)genba Wrote: you should also know at this point i'm not a dumb ass, i'm a smart ass. :)

I just came.
God made me funky...
(03-10-2018, 03:53 AM)Trixmegistus Wrote: Ireland sounds...

Okay I guess.

It is a very inhospitable place, if you can't deal with beating down sun or raining floods, and things trying to kill you every second, you will run away and scream.
And when you jump in the water and try to swim away you will be killed.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

How To Support Sectual | Manage Your Subscription

Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Board Rules | About | Contact

Chat | YouTube | Instagram | Spreadshirt | Etsy

You are what you think about. This is your mind online.