'we cannot leave the earth' - bill nye

so much for space travel guys , what a mood killer this guy is !
I've said it about 1000 times and I guess I'll say it again...

Space travel is not viable because we can't survive naturally on other planets, and any infrastructure built to sustain us would be susceptible to a bevy of astronomical dangers which would ultimately ensure the demise of any colonies who depend on that infrastructure.

Bill is right about a 'closed system', but technically it's really our solar system as a whole which is contained and cannot be escaped. The only way to travel interstellarly would be via star travel, literally using the sun as a "portal" to get to another sun "portal"... and if this was done, it would still land humans in situations that we can't naturally survive in, but with even less of a chance of survival since whatever solar system we travel to is unlikely to have a planet which would sustain human life. Even if they thought they found a planet which could match our biological needs closely enough, there would still be unforeseen differences which would make sustaining human life impossible.

Furthermore, we're incompatible with the 'particles' of other solar systems... the ancients (natives etc.) knew this and warned that we were never to leave the magnetic field of our 'soul star'.

We're incompatible with the influences between other planets and our own sun, let alone other solar systems.

Humanity needs to except that it is earth bound and it needs to serve the natural function it was put in place to (care for the planet, care for the animals). If humanity continues to fail to serve this function (as it has been for at least the last 100 years) then humanity will not survive long enough for any kind of off world travel to even be worth their time or efforts.
God made me funky...
And I'm glad He blessed me that way.
@ 3:25    VENUS is becoming breathable again ! 

Nye lost all credibility as a "science guy" when he hopped on the 99-genders bandwagon, as far as I'm concerned.

Never say never.

Barring an unexpected mass extinction event, the earth will support life for another 2 billion years or so. The sun will start expanding regardless of what we do to preserve the planet.

That's plenty of time to solve all the technical challenges of migrating to another earth-like planet. Look at the incredible technological advancements made in a mere 200 years and tell me possibilities as yet undreamed of can't become reality in 2 billion years.

As for claims that we evolved to only be able to live on one planet, consider how drastically that one planet has changed many times over since life first appeared on it, and all of the myriad ways life has evolved and adapted to those changes. Evolution isn't some magical process that happened for billions of years in the remote past and suddenly stopped when Homo sapiens arrived on the scene. It's ongoing. It happens so slowly that you can't see the changes from one day to the next, or within a human lifespan, or even within many generations, but it's happening.

This is yet another case of letting other people psych you out so you'll conform.
Science has lost its way in some respects. As the self-avowed replacement for religion, science has a moral obligation to assume the functions of religion, namely to expand human consciousness and give humanity a sense of hope for the future. Science and its precursors -- natural philosophy and alchemy -- used to do these things.

The theory that Man evolved from primates has prompted many people to draw the unfortunate conclusion that humans are mere animals having no divine spark. As animals, we have no control over our pre-programmed impulses, and therefore we're not ultimately responsible for our behavior. We're at the mercy of our hormones, and must indulge every base desire that crosses our minds.

Or take the idea of "survival of the fittest," which has been used to justify brutish, self-serving behavior in every sphere of modern life, wholly contrary to the social contract and civic-mindedness that had evolved with the rise of civilization. Charles Darwin actually never said anything about survival of the fittest, nor does it necessarily follow from natural selection, which deals with adaptive genetic mutations. The two ideas became intertwined in the popular imagination later. We're all monkeys, so... monkey see, monkey do.

The current wave of pessimistic popular scientism gripping humanity is the peculiar way in which people revel in chaos and randomness, likely precipitated by modern chaos theory in physics. As with the preceding theories, the masses have taken ideas from a specific domain and applied them broadly, in much the same way as they apply concepts of computer science like "input" and "multitasking" to human beings. This sense of cosmic anarchy, too, is demeaning and demoralizing.

What we see here are examples of how folklore, or urban legend, arises from a mish-mash of all sorts of unrelated observations. It almost seems as if science would be better left to a priesthood of trained scientists who are better at compartmentalizing all of these different ideas. Unfortunately, that would lead right back to an authoritarian hierarchy in which the priests are the law givers, and all others must take the pronouncements of science on simple faith, a la global warmingism.
(03-12-2018, 11:06 AM)user Wrote: That's plenty of time to solve all the technical challenges of migrating to another earth-like planet. Look at the incredible technological advancements made in a mere 200 years and tell me possibilities as yet undreamed of can't become reality in 2 billion years.

We’re incompatible with other planets and star systems on every level...

It’s like taking a piece out of one kinda machine and trying to put it into another kinda machine or something, it doesn’t work and it never will.

Like ‘being able’ to live on another planet is some kinda miraculous gift anyway, LMAO...

I’ll never understand why people look at this so idealistically.

Doesn’t matter what planet you’re born on, it’s all relative, there will be disaster, and you will die.

Trying to leave earth is futile. You’ll be born again (naturally) on 100 million other planets after you die here... just be patient and you’ll all get the escape from earth you so long for!
God made me funky...
I don't "long to escape" from the earth. It won't happen in my lifetime anyway, so I have no vested personal interest in the prospect. The fact remains that the earth won't exist in 5 billion years. Those hoping to extend humanity's existence beyond that point will have no choice but to leave. I doubt the possibility of their atoms being reassembled into an alien lifeform will be much consolation to them.
Don’t ya think some things just run their course?

There’s no place for humanity in 2 billion years...

It wouldn’t even be anything remotely like it is now anyway...

We’d all look like a bunch of deep sea volcanic vent-suckers by then.
God made me funky...
(03-12-2018, 12:46 PM)Trix Wrote: There’s no place for humanity in 2 billion years...

If humans continue to devolve into lower animals (see my above post about science), then you're probably right. The universe would be better off without the idiocracy.
I think whatever species we evolve into 2 billion years hence will want to preserve their species. They'll be the ones wanting to escape. Some of us just want to explore. To boldly go where no man has gone before, muhfucka!
(03-12-2018, 12:46 PM)Trix Wrote: We’d all look like a bunch of deep sea volcanic vent-suckers by then.

Ok so I have googled, I have imagined, I have pondered. Still ZERO clue as to how a deep sea volcanic vent-sucker looks! Big Grin

But ya evolution will either help us or fuck us up ugly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-16267625

http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-videos/hydroth...-creatures
God made me funky...
Would you say the golden age of volcanic vent sucking is behind them, or do they have a vent sucking renaissance to look forward to?
lol look at that crab... Sometimes nature makes silly things.

And ya ok I get the vent-sucker type of species now, thanks for the informative links Trixie xD
(03-13-2018, 04:30 PM)user Wrote: Would you say the golden age of volcanic vent sucking is behind them, or do they have a vent sucking renaissance to look forward to?

I'd say we have a vent-sucking renaissance to look forward to over the next several million years as earth gets closer to the sun...

Banana
God made me funky...
We are all...

"Time" is the journey of being all.
God made me funky...
(03-13-2018, 05:02 PM)Trix Wrote: I'd say we have a vent-sucking renaissance to look forward to over the next several million years as earth gets closer to the sun...

Banana

I will channel your vent-sucking instinct to fit my own agenda, somehow.
From dust, to dust...

Do unto others, because you have been and will be all things.
God made me funky...
why are we assuming the fancy pants scientists are accurate and precise when they tell us the sun will expand in umpteen millions of years?

there is no way to test or verify that. there's no evidence of it occurring before. it's based on the false notion of the sun being a fusion furnace, which it is not. fusion is a byproduct, not the driver. stars are powered by electric currents throughout the galaxy.
rhombus will set you free.
“Just look at us. Everything is backwards, everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, psychiatrists destroy minds, scientists destroy truth, major media destroys information, religions destroy spirituality and governments destroy freedom.” ― Michael Ellner
(03-13-2018, 05:46 PM)genba Wrote: stars are powered by electric currents throughout the galaxy.

Yep...

It's all electrical...

http://www.sectual.com/thread-2482.html

"Science" is a bunch of bullshit.

It's more like a religion than anything else.
God made me funky...

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

How To Support Sectual | Manage Your Subscription

Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Board Rules | About | Contact

Chat | YouTube | Instagram | Spreadshirt | Etsy

You are what you think about. This is your mind online.