That sweaty, greasy summer feeling is finally upon us...
Palm Trees 
Took long enough.
I hate feeling grubby.

I took two showers today.

Well, one and a half. The first was a hot rinse to knock down the grease for a few hours until it was time to get ready for work.
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
Washing my face etc. several times a day.

All the beef and bean burritos lately ain't helping either.
I actually made a totally magnificent dinner tonight though.

Oven roasted chicken breasts braised with a mixture of lime and maple syrup and select herbs, just enough to add a tiny bit of flavor... certainly nothing overpowering.

Spinach, green beans, corn, and motherfucking skillet potatoes AGAIN because I got a TON of potatoes and they're not doing so great on the shelf life, usually they last forever but I notice these are not. So I gotta cook a bunch of 'em.
Why are you eating burritos? I figured you for a pot roast and potato salad cookin' kind o' gal.
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
(05-22-2020, 11:22 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: I got a TON of potatoes and they're not doing so great on the shelf life, usually they last forever but I notice these are not. So I gotta cook a bunch of 'em.

Bury those fuckers in the yard. They have pretty blue flowers.
I have NEVERRRR made potato salad... I actually don't really like the stuff.

I do love the word "tatersalad" though. But I guess that's a different matter.
(05-22-2020, 11:24 PM)Devastatia Wrote: Bury those fuckers in the yard. They have pretty blue flowers.

That's a great idea, I might do that with a few of them. Legit have picked out a few that have holes in 'em and sheeit.
You don't like other people's potato salad, you mean. Everyone makes it differently. Some people put in too much mustard. I hated it too when mustard was all I could taste. (Didn't know there was more than one way to make it at the time.)

It's really hard to describe how I make mine. The potatoes have to be a certain texture when cooked. I'm very precise about the cooking and chilling process.
I'm sure that if I live long enough, some day I will try my hand at potato salad crafting.
I was never interested in making potato salad, much less crafting it, until recently.

It all started because of a pre-made potato salad I used to buy. I liked the taste of it, but the potatoes were too crisp. And it didn't have hard-boiled eggs, which I consider essential in potato salad.

Anyway, after I moved here, I couldn't get it anymore, and couldn't find one locally that I really liked. So I decided to recreate that one, with improvements.

The essential elements of Southern potato salad are:

potatoes, preferably red
hard-boiled eggs
chopped onion, preferably red
mayonnaise
yellow mustard
sweet relish
salt
pepper

I put in less mustard and relish than most people. I want to be able to taste the actual food, namely the potato, egg, and onion.

I put in a good squirt of ranch dressing. About as much ranch as mustard. Not very much of either. The mayo is the main condiment, and I only put in enough of that to make the food stick together.

I also make it noticeably less than "salty enough" because of how it makes other elements stand out.

This is not yer gandmaw's mushy potato salad. The potatoes and eggs are cooked to the exact desired firmness, then immediately chilled before the final mix.
Yeah, I feel that the potatoes need to be sorta firm. It'd take some pretty good judgement to strike a proper balance between done and not too done.

Thank you for the ingredients list.

I can see how the hardboiled eggs would be totally indispensable.

The ranch dressing though... hmmm. We'll see.
But yeah, summer turns me upside down... Cheer

Heart 
WorshipThe CarsWorship2
Classic summer music... every one of their songs, actually.
(05-23-2020, 12:06 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: It'd take some pretty good judgement to strike a proper balance between done and not too done.

There's not a way that I know of to play the cooking part by ear. You have to sample the potatoes every so often while they cook, which isn't tedious because it only takes a few minutes once the water boils. As soon as you encounter a "done" cube, take 'em off the stove and cool them down.

It helps to make every cube as close to the same size as possible, about a quarter inch in all dimensions. That way they'll all get done at the same time. Naturally, you'll have a few small bits that cook to mush, because them spuds ain't square. I rinse them with cold water as soon as I take them off the stove to cool them down and get rid of the starch and mush. Then put 'em in a metal mixing bowl and stick 'em in the freezer until they're cold.
Sounds like a bulletproof method to me, hot damn.

I think I kinda want it?!?!?
Ohyeah
It's cheap enough to experiment with, so no biggy if you fuck it up the first couple of times.
I'm sweating BALLLLLZZZZZZZ.

I could turn up the AC. I actually have the air vent closed.

I would rather be too hot than even a touch too cool.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Disclaimer | Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy

Official Sectual Discord Server

Roleplaying: Every Poster Is A Character