Audio Pareidolia: We need to talk about this...
Scholar 
Here's my dedicated thread about the visual version of pareidolia...

https://www.sectual.com/thread-1828.html

This is the post I made in the dedicated Schizophrenia thread about audio pareidolia...

(06-11-2020, 11:57 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: Audio pareidolia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

https://www.sectual.com/thread-1828.html

I think it's possible that auditory hallucinations are a lot like visual pareidolia.

I have had a lot of highly detailed pareidolia experiences...

I talk about some of them in the above linked thread.

For me, I see the face and instantly along with it comes an entire story about the face.

The story varies but it's always INSTANT and always a detailed "imagining" of the story belonging to the face...

For example, whether it's a friendly face, a human face, the face of a doll, etc., there's always a story behind it which makes me able to categorize it as threatening, non-threatening, evil, whimsical, you name it.

I have realized that auditory hallucinations may be made from the same type of process...

Hearing a sound, misinterpreting it (usually as a voice) due to one's current perception (which is usually based on mood and emotion)...

And then with that comes a whole detailed, INSTANT story about what this voice is saying, whether the voice is good or bad, what's the message, etc.

What amazes me is how fast the process is. This "flash" of backstory is instant with visual pareidolia, but with audio... it seems even faster.

When people hear "pareidolia" (if they even know what it is) they think about the visual version, like seeing faces in clouds or whatever. But nobody ever seems to discuss audio pareidolia, and I think it's time we really put this topic on the table.

Audio pareidolia is what I experience. As well as regular/visual pareidolia, but that's not what this is about.

I think it's entirely possible that there are people out there who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, but they're not really schizophrenic.

The auditory version of pareidolia is when you interpret voices (INSTANTLY, with NO conscious thought) in normal sounds in the environment. It could be anything. The refrigerator. The sound of water running. It can be literally anything. You hear a voice, and then you think about it and realize first of all, it COULDN'T be a voice (for whatever reason), and then you understand that the sound came from something else... like the washing machine, or ANYTHING.

I talk about one of my experiences with these auditory issues in this video at 9:25 and 19:00... https://www.bitchute.com/video/PdynebaU7Uwc

I've always had this issue. Historically, I've only heard voices when I was VERY tired. I remember my first experience with it vividly... I was probably about 13. I heard at least one little kid (male) talking in the kitchen, and there was definitely no such person around. I remember thinking "Man, well. That's my cue. Time to go the fuck to sleep."

And over the years, it would always be the case that I heard voices when I was either very tired, or falling asleep at night. For this reason, I started to use a fan at night and that did (and still does) mitigate the issue.

I have also discussed a visual issue that isn't pareidolia...

https://www.sectual.com/thread-6716.html

Seeing things out of the corner of your eye, like people standing there, or for me, it's almost always that I think I see a huge spider or something. Again, these interpretations are INSTANT. And it doesn't matter where I am or what the environment is, I am always going to interpret what I see as a massive spider-like creature. SOME kind of skittering creepy crawly.

I'm making this thread because recently my audio pareidolia has really been acting up. Even when I'm not tired, it still happens. Seeing the "skittering" thingies has been happening all day every day as well. I'll get up, and after about 15 minutes or so of being awake, I realize ah shit... it's still happening. The skittering issue has been a problem no matter what for years now... basically since I made that 2018 thread. But the audio pareidolia has never really been an ongoing problem for me day in and day out before.

The other day I was on the toilet and I heard at least one male voice in the distance, talking and talking. It wasn't a voice I recognized, and I knew it couldn't be anyone in the environment. I knew it wasn't a radio or any kind of shit like that... so I just listened and marveled at the fact that here I am, on the shitter, and I'm listening to some dude in the distance who doesn't even exist just go on and on and on.

Now here is the vital difference between schizophrenia, and audio pareidolia... you KNOW the voices ARE NOT REAL. You can reason with logic that they are not real voices coming from real people, and there has to be some kind of explanation from the background noises in the environment which would account for them. My problem with the bathroom incident was that there truly was nothing that should have been causing it. So... that was when I became slightly more concerned than normal about this issue.

I am posting this because I don't really wanna talk to anyone about it... it just sounds embarrassing and weird, and I'm weird and embarrassing enough as it is without any extra icing on the cake.

And I also think it's important to bring light to this topic because I am surely not the only one who has this problem. There are other issues that cause people to hear voices... it's not just schizophrenia, and that needs to be known.

Bottom line as far as I can figure is an issue of PERCEPTION. But it's basically subconscious. Your mind interprets voices from sound before you can even think about it consciously. You interpret the sound, it startles you, and THEN you get to reason about it. THEN you get to logically follow it back to its origin. Not the other way around.
https://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/apophen...r-syndrome

Musical Ear Syndrome?? Oooookay.

I mean that's exactly what I've experienced but...

Wow.

Apophenia??

Quote:Pareidolia is actually the audiovisual form of apophenia . . . the experience of perceiving patterns (actually pseudo-patterns) in random, and thus meaningless, data

Yup, that's me.

So apparently apophenia is the proper term for this issue.

Quote:Audio pareidolia is hearing words/music that are not actually in the sounds you are hearing. This can occur by misinterpreting words that are being said, or by hearing words in random noise.

Very interesting.
That article appears to really do its best explaining the brainy psychological reasons why this happens.

But just like visual pareidolia, what the fuck are you supposed to do about it?? It just happens.

What, am I supposed to seek a hypnotherapist or some shit??
The article concludes with "Just sit back and enjoy them. It's all part of being human."

Oookay.
Guess I'll work on that??

Facepalm
Any other humans wanna chime in about this being an issue they experience day in and day out??

Any takers?
https://cla.umn.edu/news-events/story/or...-psychosis

Quote:Apophenia is an expression of the personality trait known as "openness to experience," which describes the general tendency to be imaginative, curious and intellectual.

Uhhh, wow. What a hippie dippie load of motherfucking shite.

Come ON.
Not seeing anything too encouraging here, gotta tell ya.
Looking like a giant case of "they don't know what the fuck they're talking about" to me...

nod
Music sets it off in me too...

After a while I start hearing all kinds of voices and it's totally annoying.
It didn't used to be that way...

Not sure if it has to do with the type of music or what.

I think maybe it's unfamiliar music, because I guarantee if I was listening to The Beatles or Pink Floyd or some shit I've heard 50,000 times, I would not be hearing voices.
Quote:Apophenia is commonly referred to as an error in perception. Although there is no confirmed reason as to why it occurs, there are some respected theories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Exactly.

So how do you go about fixing this??

The fact that they have no idea what the hell it actually is has been totally affirmed to me by reading this.

Yeah, it's roughly understood.

But I have never talked to anyone or been around anyone who had this issue...

So how common IS IT?
Quote:Evolution

One of the explanations put forth by evolutionary psychologists for apophenia is that it is not a flaw in the cognition of human brains but rather something that has come about through years of need. The study of this topic is referred to as error management theory. One of the most accredited studies in this field is Skinner's box and superstition.

This experiment involved taking a hungry pigeon, placing it in a box and releasing a food pellet at a random time. The pigeon received a food pellet while performing some action; and so, rather than attributing the arrival of the pellet to randomness, it repeated its action, and continued to do so until another pellet fell. As the pigeon increased the number of times it performed the action, it gained the impression that it also increased the times it was "rewarded" with a pellet, although the release in fact remained entirely random.

Facepalm

That's it??

Why do these answers not satisfy me at all??
Quote:the amygdala seems to be hyperactive

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3060967

So there are vague connections being made here between auditory hallucinations and the amygdala.

Hmmm...

I wonder if you can FEEL the amygdala being hyperactive??

LMAO!

Like it sounds funny, but I'm being totally serious.

Whenever I start hearing stuff in an onslaught kinda way, I get this super weird feeling in my head.

It's like an annoyed kinda feeling, but it's so hard to explain.
Quote:The amygdala helps coordinate responses to things in your environment, especially those that trigger an emotional response.

https://www.healthline.com/health/what-p...s-emotions

hmmm
The connection makes sense because the entire audio pareidolia apophenia musical ear phenomenon is all about misinterpreting stimulus in the environment.
So, simply put... I have a misinterpretation problem on a subconscious level.
(10-05-2020, 10:33 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: I'm making this thread because recently my audio pareidolia has really been acting up. 

Hug

Quote:Now here is the vital difference between schizophrenia, and audio pareidolia... you KNOW the voices ARE NOT REAL. You can reason with logic that they are not real voices coming from real people, and there has to be some kind of explanation from the background noises in the environment which would account for them. My problem with the bathroom incident was that there truly was nothing that should have been causing it. So... that was when I became slightly more concerned than normal about this issue.

I'm of Native American descent and we're not real quick to call folks crazy just because
they experience things that don't fit neatly into some modernized category formulated
by some uptight white lab coats who are about as far from matters of the Spirit as they
are from the Truth.

I've had the "squeaking chair sounding like someone calling my name" thing happen
before. And hundreds of other incidents just like it, over the years. Fact is, we don't
really know what's going on in all this glorious madness that is Life.

If it can't be measured in a laboratory then oh my God, it must be lies or crazy-talk!
It's that kind of thinking that has created the bulk of the world's problems to date.

I guess it's all down to what a person believes or rather what they're able to accept
as a possible explanation, but people would do well to stop trying to make an Infinite
stream of all-knowing awareness conform to an extremely finite and fallible little
machine. Yes, I'm talking about the brain.
The simple fact that you can identify that while you DO hear these sounds/voices
it's clear to you that they are not real. That should take a load off your mind!

Also, I have a song entitled Amygdala. It's a work in progress. Haven't been able
to feel my way through finishing it. I like the frame work of it so far though.
(10-05-2020, 11:29 PM)somethingelseishere Wrote: The simple fact that you can identify that while you DO hear these sounds/voices
it's clear to you that they are not real. That should take a load off your mind!

It does...

But it's hard not to act totally fucking annoyed by hearing them, because the truth is that IT IS totally fucking annoying.

It's like getting your alerts set off over and over and over again...

It becomes very tiring.

You know like how it feels when somebody scares you on purpose for fun? That shit doesn't happen in the adult world too often, lmao, but I'm sure it happened to everyone as kids.

But it's that same kind of feeling, only not as intense because nobody's jumping out and going "Boo!" triggering ALL your defenses at once.

This is just a vague version of that.

When it happens over and over again as the day wears on though man...

It is very annoying.

Tonight I'm very tired, and before I got in bed, it was just happening at every point and turn.

It was a mad rush to turn on my fan and get in bed so I can sleep this off and hope that cures it.

Or at least majorly take the edge off.

It hasn't been totally curing me for the past several days though, and that sucks.

I'd like to wake up tomorrow refreshed and not have this start happening again.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Disclaimer | Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy