Edward Van Halen dead at 65
Sad Nana 
https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van...cancer-65/
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
LOL @ use of his proper first name.

Now he's plugged in to that great amp in the sky...

These go to 11 buddy...

Cheers2
One of THE best gunslingers EVER!
He's where guitar strings never break now! : )
(10-06-2020, 10:20 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: LOL @ use of his proper first name.

They used to do that in the guitar-oriented press. I always thought it rather humorous.
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
Van Halen had this hand sign they used to do at concerts. At one show at the Myriad in Oklahoma City, I sat pretty close to the stage. During a break between songs, while Sammy Hagar was bullshitting around, I yelled Eddie's name, and he looked at me. I gave him the hand sign, and he returned it. Banana
That's so sweet!!
Who do you suppose their new guitar player will be?
Oh come on, it's over.
They're not gonna shut down the franchise just because Eddie died.

Look at Journey. They're a diversified corporation. When Steve Perry left, they found a sound-alike singer and kept on rolling.
I meeean, that Steve Perry sound-alike guy was remarkable though...

Not saying they couldn't potentially find somebody who fits the sound to fill in for Eddie Van Halen but...

It would definitely have to be a global search like it was for Journey.
Yeah, Arnel is an awesome singer. Unfortunately he's content to mimic Perry rather than develop his own style.

Journey's original singer, Gregg Rolie, sounded nothing like Perry. They had had only modest commercial success before Rolie left the band, so they weren't really compelled to find someone who could cover his material.

The Steve Perry era was by far Journey's most lucrative period. They became a huge money-making enterprise, and apparently didn't want to break out of the formula that had made them a huge success. Hence, Arnel Pineda.

If Van Halen is merely looking for an Eddie imitator, it won't be that hard to find one. Two generations of guitarists grew up learning to play all of Eddie's licks. I hope they don't go that route though. They need to get someone who can play Eddie's songs, but who can also innovate and help the band's sound evolve.
(10-12-2020, 02:17 PM)Devastatia Wrote: Yeah, Arnel is an awesome singer. Unfortunately he's content to mimic Perry rather than develop his own style.

Dude honestly...

Arnel is so awesome at being the clone of Steve's voice...

That's the whole entire point.

He doesn't HAVE to be unique or "himself"...

With a gift like that, his purpose in life (creatively, and at least by a large margin) is to parrot Steve in a way that is pretty unbelievable/remarkable/outstanding.
I am not sure which is more unlikely to be so perfectly copied...

A voice, or a guitarist's personal style.

I think the voice may be a lot more rare.
You take Jimi Hendrix for example...

Nobody can convincingly parrot him whatsoever.
(10-12-2020, 02:27 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: With a gift like that, his purpose in life (creatively, and at least by a large margin) is to parrot Steve in a way that is pretty unbelievable/remarkable/outstanding.

I can't imagine being an artist and not wanting to create my own style.

I think Arnel will have to at some point. The generation that grew up on the Perry era sound won't be around forever, and future generations wont give two shits about it. Journey underwent a drastic transformation when Perry replaced Rolie, and they'll have to do so again to stay relevant for another 40 years.
(10-12-2020, 02:28 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: I am not sure which is more unlikely to be so perfectly copied...

A voice, or a guitarist's personal style.

I think the voice may be a lot more rare.

It's a lot easier to copy a guitarist than to copy a singer of Steve Perry's caliber.

So yeah, I have to give Arnel mad props for even accomplishing that.

You know what I really think though...

I think this is just Arnel's voice and it's that simple.

He really ain't even parroting Steve...

He may mimic a few specific traits for impact and wow factor, but I think this is just his voice man.

I usually think old bands getting their members replaced is lame as shit and sucks...

But in this case, it's truly a fucking marvel, ROFL.

I wonder how Steve felt about it.

He probably felt pretty blessed.

It's really kind of magical.
It's hard to say whether Arnel would've sounded like Steve Perry if he had grown up idolizing some band other than Journey.

I'm not knocking Arnel's talent at all. I think he would've done well if he had joined some other band.

I idolized Steve Perry myself at one time. Journey was my favorite band through high school. Over the years though, I've become disenchanted with them for the same reason I'm down on the corporate music industry as a whole. They've turned into this self-perpetuating corporate juggernaut that just wants to keep milking the same material and formula forever.

I don't see anything wrong with old bands getting new members. Artists get tired of playing with each other, or have irreconcilable creative differences that require them to either split up or replace members. Or, in the case of Steve Perry, a member develops health issues that keep him from continuing to work regularly.

Neal Schon is the only member of Journey who's been with the band since the beginning. Aside from Schon, it has become a completely different band several times. Except with Arnel it stayed pretty much the same band as with Perry. Why don't they split up and go their separate ways? It seems like they just want to keep milking the same cash cow at this point.
(10-12-2020, 03:54 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: I wonder how Steve felt about it.

By all accounts, Steve loves Arnel. He says Arnel is Journey's lead singer, not him, and dismisses any talk about him rejoining the band and replacing Arnel.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Disclaimer | Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy