Narcissism is necessary for survival...
Scholar 
I've talked about this before in a thread from 2019: https://www.sectual.com/thread-12969.html

But I want to expound on this concept, because it's not just my own life experience that I am pulling on and saying this is THE WAY to be...

No, I've come to this conclusion after looking at other people's lives, and considering what being a total narcissist could do to benefit them in the various situations that trouble them.

I've concluded that if you can't at least turn on/off your narcissistic self-interest at will, then life is going to be way shittier for you.

I think being able to turn on/off your narcissism (therefore, to be AWARE of your narcissistic tendencies, methods, etc.) is a crucial part of living effectively.

If you can't see the world any other way than through your narcissist lenses, then you're going to suffer in equal or even greater magnitude as those who have no narcissistic ability at all.

There is a happy medium. There is a balance. Even for narcissism, there's a balance.

You gotta find your personal narcissism sweet spot, but if all else fails, I recommend erring more on the side of excessive narcissism. It's better to have too much of it than too little or none at all.

What is the use of narcissism in your life? How can it help you? Well, because other people will try to make you feel shitty about yourself, when really, they're shitty and they suck.

Fact of the matter is... we all suck, to some degree. But should Bob be able to tell you that YOU suck unequivocally and are THE supreme suck, no suck above you? Bob should never be able to shove this BS lie down your throat... your narcissism should be blocking his ability to do so.

Don't take abuse from Bob or Nancy or any other fucking moron who sucks just as much as you do. Don't be a victim of Bob or Nancy. Instead of agreeing that you suck, combat the BS onslaught with your own thoughts of overinflated self-worth in order to drown out opposition.

You don't need to prove to Bob/Nancy that you DON'T suck... you need to make sure Bob/Nancy knows you don't give their opinion any consideration whatsoever by ignoring their attempts to belittle you, get energy from you, etc. and thus effectively starving them out.

Feed yourself, bulk up by transmuting criticism directed at you through the processing mechanism of your controlled narcissism... don't ever feed the opposition.
(04-25-2021, 09:29 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: I've concluded that if you can't at least turn on/off your narcissistic self-interest at will, then life is going to be way shittier for you.

Don't take abuse from Bob or Nancy or any other fucking moron who sucks just as much as you do. Don't be a victim of Bob or Nancy. Instead of agreeing that you suck, combat the BS onslaught with your own thoughts of overinflated self-worth in order to drown out opposition.

Kobe Bryant often talked about the power of greed. He wasn't afraid to be openly greedy, to use his term, that's a stand in word for something else, just like "personal narcissism" (obviously someone can't turn it on and off if they actually suffer from the condition). He was going to make the most money. Take the last shot of a game. Dominate no matter what. If you came into practice hung over, you were weak in his eyes, and he would make you fucking regret it on every level (well documented, lol). If you were around him and you didn't play hard, you would pay hard. But none of that is really greed, per se. 

Egoism and Egotism can be intertwined like two strands of DNA to create one very focused and driven mindset in terms of elevating the SELF at the cost of whatever gets in the way, because nothing should have the RIGHT to get in your way, and it can be perceived as sociopathic, but it's not in and of itself. It's about not letting Bob and Nancy get in your fucking way, and that's as is should be, and I fully love what you're saying. 

I'll be self effacing to the point of absurdity, but if Bob and Nancy think that they can then use that to slow my progress for their own nefarious bullshit, I'm putting my feet up their respective asses and walking around with them like flip flops, so every time I take a step further along my path, their asses smack against my soles. 

Me: A new door has opened, I'm walking in. 
The asses of Bob and Nancy: "smacka, smacka, smacka, smacka"
I think this fits in with your stance on never joining a label or compromising on any level. Even renting property or having a JOB where you're working for someone else is a compromise, and often if you behave in a certain manner that they don't approve of, you're out on your ass, so it can cause people to subjugate who they are in order to survive instead of turning on the personal narcissism; it's basically the exact opposite of what you're saying. 97% of people don't have the luxury or even the understanding of what you're talking about.

It's very rare, the person who can be who they want to be and not back down from it.
Regarding knowing when to pick your battles, and just to stay on the Lakers tip: The late Dr. Jerry Buss, who not only owned the Lakers but was a ranked world-class poker champion, once said: "Most people don't have the patience to win at poker, because they don't have the mental stamina. You have to wait until you get the right cards, and it can take time, it can seem like it's not going to happen and desperation will set in, but this is where you need mental Stamina. Once you do get the right cards, you then need to know how to go from zero to 100 in very little time."
Yoda 
"expound" LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Are you sure it's narcissism you're taking about? A narcissist is constantly trying to elevate themselves above others, by belittling others, not actually being better in any way. Narcissists are totally dependent on others for their self esteem. They are almost always the result of abuse by narcissistic parent/s. It sounds more like you're taking about rational self interest.
It sounds like you're trying to figure out how to deal with narcissists rather than being a narcissist. In my experience the best way to deal with narcissists is not to deal with them at all. Sometimes that's not possible though. You do not seem like a narcissist here, so if you are one you're pretty good at hiding it. I've dealt with narcissists online before. They are super controlling and always shitting on everything you say. You really don't seem like that at all.
Well fuck, maybe I'm wrong!
Nothing wrong with a little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_egoism
Yoda 
(04-26-2021, 09:15 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: Well fuck, maybe I'm wrong!
See this shit? Not many people can do this. Admit that maybe they are wrong.
It takes great logic and reason to wonder if you may be wrong.
"Im not saying im wrong, but I maybe, cos I don't know everything, and there is a possibility I left something out or didn't research a certain thing"
This is the love in you MO. Its what I once found. Its unique not many people are like this.
(04-26-2021, 08:34 AM)Guest Wrote: Are you sure it's narcissism you're taking about? A narcissist is constantly trying to elevate themselves above others, by belittling others, not actually being better in any way. Narcissists are totally dependent on others for their self esteem. They are almost always the result of abuse by narcissistic parent/s. It sounds more like you're taking about rational self interest.

Narcissism is necessary for survival... (sectual.com)
(04-26-2021, 09:15 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: Well fuck, maybe I'm wrong!

No, you're not. You specified "personal narcissism". That's like "inner child", or "I'm channeling my inner Jew right now and I don't think you're paying enough for your share of the meal", etc. It doesn't mean the person is really a jew, just acting like one. Your meaning is totally clear. Anyone nitpicking with semantics should be taken into the kitchen of one of those filthy Chinese buffets you find in desolate strip malls and locked in the freezer and gassed.
No one is nitpicking with semantics. It just sounds more like egoism than narcissism. One can be an egoist and not be a narcissist. What exactly is "personal narcissism?"
Well I think we need to back it up a bit and consult the official definition of "narcissism"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/narcissistic

Those are just a couple of sources I randomly chose, and at the core, the definition is very simple.

But what I do find interesting is how the definition varies among people, as if the concept of narcissism is not innate to human understanding.

If it can't be agreed upon that the definition of narcissism is pretty damn simple, then I would argue that narcissism is a made up concept...

Just a BS label created by the psychological/pharmaceutical industrial complex to enslave and peddle more drugs to the masses.
And I WOULD side with the 'rational ego' idea, except for that I truly do think you have to be kind of psychopathic to survive sometimes...

shrug
I think rational egoism is a term that appeals more to logical and unemotional people...

I also think that it's a made up term, kinda like narcissism...

It seems like we are explaining the same thing, from different viewpoints.

That's my take on it.
Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

-Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
-Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
-Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
-Exaggerate achievements and talents
-Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
-Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
-Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
-Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
-Take advantage of others to get what they want
-Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
-Be envious of others and believe others envy them
-Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious

At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

-Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
-Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
-React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
-Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
-Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
-Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
-Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation
(04-26-2021, 01:12 PM)Guest Wrote: No one is nitpicking with semantics. It just sounds more like egoism than narcissism. One can be an egoist and not be a narcissist.  What exactly is "personal narcissism?"

Please tell me you're trolling.
Yoda 
(04-26-2021, 08:49 PM)Atma Wrote: Please tell me you're trolling.

Im ya huckleberry Wink
(04-26-2021, 08:53 PM)ELFUNGUSMAXIMUS Wrote: Im ya huckleberry Wink

Shut the fuck up, you idiot.

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)