I've been going fucking nuts.
I've been trying to mix ONE song for the better part of three weekends. Like - all fucking day. 

Ears get fried. You start hearing things in a microscope and pretty soon to can't hear the music as a whole. I've started over several times. So incredibly frustrarting.

Maybe you get everything sounding good, except the bass. You alter the bass and then the kick drum gets screwed up. So you work on the kick drum; maybe add more bottom, them the vocals are dead. AHHHH!

Recording the stuff is relatively easy. Mixing is like trying to stack marbles.
(09-12-2021, 01:40 AM)GG Wrote: I've been trying to mix ONE song for the better part of three weekends. Like - all fucking day. 

Ears get fried. You start hearing things in a microscope and pretty soon to can't hear the music as a whole. I've started over several times. So incredibly frustrarting.

Maybe you get everything sounding good, except the bass. You alter the bass and then the kick drum gets screwed up. So you work on the kick drum; maybe add more bottom, them the vocals are dead. AHHHH!

Is it your song or someone else's?

If it's yours, maybe the song is asking you to go back to the recording phase and add something. Maybe there's something you wanted to add but dismissed it as more trouble than it's worth, and the song is like "GG... I'm worth it..."

Or... what about sending it to someone who mixes professionally (unless that is you)? Look into people you admire and see who they work with, and reach out to them. After I worked with an engineering genius, it became impossible to go back to mixing (or recording, for that matter) my own stuff (unless it's just for a demo to bring to a studio). 

If none of that works for you, then just know you'll eventually get it right, and when that happens I hope you'll share the results.
(09-12-2021, 01:40 AM)GG Wrote: I've been trying to mix ONE song for the better part of three weekends. Like - all fucking day. 

Put it down and go away, don't let yourself be entrapped by the notion that you need to fix it NOW because you don't.

And remember too you can't engineer the perfect race horse by designing the perfect head, chest, torso, legs and hooves individually then putting them together and expecting an ideal whole.  Wink
Probably a dumb question if you're using a DAW and can put an EQ on every channel, but...

How many parametric equalizers do you have?
Social media? No, my friend. Antisocial media. Cool
(09-12-2021, 07:31 AM)Atma Wrote: Or... what about sending it to someone who mixes professionally (unless that is you)?

That is her. Ohyeah

GG, you probably already know this, but you can cut out quite a bit of low end from either the bass or the kick if they're competing for space and still have them sound right in the mix.
I'd cut everything below 80 Hz across the board unless you're doing hip-hop.
Well, its my song. I've been recording and writing music for a long time. It's tough sometimes.

What I did was put it aside and started mixing another instead.

Here's the one I switched to and starting mixing this morning.

https://soundcloud.com/gpartin/tell-me-starting-mix
(09-12-2021, 07:31 AM)Atma Wrote: Is it your song or someone else's?

If it's yours, maybe the song is asking you to go back to the recording phase and add something. Maybe there's something you wanted to add but dismissed it as more trouble than it's worth, and the song is like "GG... I'm worth it..."

Or... what about sending it to someone who mixes professionally (unless that is you)? Look into people you admire and see who they work with, and reach out to them. After I worked with an engineering genius, it became impossible to go back to mixing (or recording, for that matter) my own stuff (unless it's just for a demo to bring to a studio). 

If none of that works for you, then just know you'll eventually get it right, and when that happens I hope you'll share the results.

what is happening is that I'm trying to get a very stripped down but full sound. The kick drum and the bass were fighting each other.

I think I have it figured out. I'm going to sit on that one for a few days and then listen to it with fresh ears. I think I just got to burned out on it and lost focus.
(09-12-2021, 01:40 AM)GG Wrote: Recording the stuff is relatively easy. Mixing is like trying to stack marbles.

Have you ever tried mixing to pink noise?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/...-reference

I've tried it a few times and it works pretty good but my stuff is always so jacked
up with layers of noise and distortion/overdrive on nearly every track that it didn't
really help me very much. lol
(09-13-2021, 02:09 PM)somethingelseishere Wrote: Have you ever tried mixing to pink noise?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/...-reference

I've tried it a few times and it works pretty good but my stuff is always so jacked
up with layers of noise and distortion/overdrive on nearly every track that it didn't
really help me very much. lol

That is really cool! Thank you for that. I'm going to try that. Very interesting!
ThumbsUp

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)