The Forgotten Generation
Generation X is the generation between the Baby Boomers and the Millennials. While dates vary depending on who you ask, Generation X birth dates range from the early-to-mid 1960s to the early-to-mid 1980s.

Coming of age during the Reagan administration and the end of the Cold War, Generation X might seem to be a bit more conservative than the previous or following generations. The truth is, we weren't really all that politically active. For us, the major conflict was between liberty and communism, not liberalism and conservatism. Popular catch phrases at the time were "Kill a commie for your mommy!" and "Better dead than Red!"

Other than that, it wasn't in-your-face "all politics all of the time" the way it is now. The collapse of the USSR and allied communist regimes played out in the background as we went about our personal lives. We were low-key concerned about nuclear war, but I don't think most of us really believed it would happen.

As "latchkey kids," we were left to our own devices while both parents worked, and, consequently, we learned to fend for ourselves. Our laissez-faire attitude stems more from a desire to be left the fuck alone (and the assumption that everyone else does too) than from adherence to any political doctrine. We still want to be left the fuck alone, which explains why we find young SJWs especially irritating.

(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
(08-02-2020, 09:23 AM)Devastatia Wrote: For us, the major conflict was between liberty and communism, not liberalism and conservatism.

These are sort of the same thing, really. A more generic description might be "liberty vs. authoritarianism." The current battle between nationalism and globalism roughly falls under that heading too.

(08-02-2020, 09:23 AM)Devastatia Wrote: Other than that, it wasn't in-your-face "all politics all of the time" the way it is now.

When I first saw the 1987 film The Bonfire of the Vanities, I thought it was a complete farce, something that could never happen in real life. I had no idea it was a parody of actual events happening in big cities. It would be a couple more decades before I saw that the "grievance industry" or "oppression Olympics" was an actual thing. The left really has become a parody of itself.
(10-16-2019, 02:21 PM)Mister Obvious Wrote: If you say no, it's gayer than saying yes.
Yeah that's the generation my parents belong to and that generation is so under discussed that they don't even know what generation they're part of. It's sad as shit.
The major environmental scare for Generation X was the hole in the ozone layer over the Arctic Ocean caused by chlorofluorcarbons (CFCs) breaking down ozone molecules in the upper atmosphere. Unlike the current theology of Global Warmingism, there was no impending apocalyptic doom that could only be averted by drastically altering every social, economic, and political institution on earth. They simply banned CFC aerosols and refrigerants. Problem solved.
(08-02-2020, 09:56 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: ... that generation is so under discussed that they don't even know what generation they're part of.

We're here to remedy that oversight today, my friend. Ohyeah
Yeah I really appreciate it because my mom legitimately thought she was a boomer and I was like um, hell no you're not.
Generation X was a pretty great generation IMO.
While we take personal computers and cellphones for granted today, they were just hitting the consumer market when Generation X were in their teens and 20s. Both already existed, of course, but previously they were large, expensive devices that very few could afford. Most mobile phones were still anchored to a base unit in the car by a phone cord. The first truly portable ones were as thick as a brick and twice as heavy.

Most of us still used land lines to make phone calls. When cellphones arrived in our late 20s to early 30s, we mostly used them to make phone calls too. I think the popularity of texting came about due to increasing familiarity with Internet chat towards the turn of the century.

(When I was a kid, only extremely old people reminisced about "the turn of the century.")

Generation X were the first to learn to code on our own. This was usually accomplished by painstakingly typing BASIC programs from printed books and magazines into our computers. I would later learn JavaScript more or less the same way, initially copying and pasting other people's scripts from the Internet into my own HTML pages.
(08-02-2020, 10:19 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: ... my mom legitimately thought she was a boomer....

Could be because Millennials and Generation Z refer to everyone older than themselves as Boomers.
Idiots.
I had long been interested in computers by my mid-20s, but the opening of the Internet to the public and the resulting ability to instantly communicate with people from all over the world made them infinitely more fascinating for me.

Although it's seldom discussed anymore, Internet addiction was recognized as an actual thing early on. I was hooked on chat, and I damned well knew it. I would stay up nights chatting. I particularly remember one night in Yahoo! chat when a pleasant old Bedouin man described their societal norms and nomadic way of life to a rapt audience.

Trolling was easy back then. Most people took what others said on the Internet at face value. The old "baby locked in a suitcase" troll still worked.
(08-02-2020, 09:57 AM)Devastatia Wrote: They simply banned CFC aerosols and refrigerants. Problem solved.

So, by this logic, we can just ban SJW's and fix the world?

I Want To Believe
(08-02-2020, 10:50 AM)somethingelseishere Wrote: So, by this logic, we can just ban SJW's and fix the world?

Absolutely. Or simply defund them.

https://www.sectual.com/thread-17260.html
(08-02-2020, 10:48 AM)Devastatia Wrote: Although it's seldom discussed anymore, Internet addiction was recognized as an actual thing early on. I was hooked on chat, and I damned well knew it.

The internet has been my lifelong addiction, and I am not sorry about it.

Instant global communications are a special era in human history and I refuse to miss out.

That said, I've had enough for a whole lifetime at this point... I get the idea.

But I'll use it until it's either too locked down to bother with, or isn't available anymore.
(08-02-2020, 10:53 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: The internet has been my lifelong addiction, and I am not sorry about it.

I probably spend more time online than I ought to as well. Then again, there are a lot more useful services and information online now than there were in the beginning. It isn't just pissing away time in chatrooms anymore.
(08-02-2020, 11:01 AM)Devastatia Wrote: It isn't just pissing away time in chatrooms anymore.

Actually, it never was just pissing away time in chat. When I saw someone post a hyperlink in chat for the first time, I immediately wanted to know how they did it. I started learning HTML soon after I discovered the Internet, and devoted a lot of my online time to it. That landed me decent paying jobs for a couple of decades, so it wasn't a total waste.
(08-02-2020, 10:50 AM)somethingelseishere Wrote: So, by this logic, we can just ban SJW's and fix the world?

(08-02-2020, 10:52 AM)Devastatia Wrote: Absolutely. Or simply defund them.

Come to think of it, defunding is the better option.

Banning things we don't like is the SJW way. Let's not be like them.

As capitalists, we should decline to fund things we disagree with.
Brickwall 
(08-02-2020, 10:19 AM)Mister Obvious Wrote: Generation X was a pretty great generation IMO.

So why do you not approve their posts?
(08-02-2020, 12:42 PM)ELFUNGUSMAXIMUS Wrote: So why do you not approve their posts?

You're such a fuckin' whiner, stop being so whiny.
(08-02-2020, 11:32 AM)Devastatia Wrote: Come to think of it, defunding is the better option.
Banning things we don't like is the SJW way. Let's not be like them.
As capitalists, we should decline to fund things we disagree with.

By "banning" I was secretly meaning throwing them all off a cliff.
But yeah, defunding them works too. *whistles inconspicuously*

Please note that new posts in this forum must be approved by a moderator before becoming visible.
[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Disclaimer | Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy